Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sigh

Today is a rainy day. Somewhat fitting but nevertheless us Michiganders I think are very ready for some sunshine. What.a.brutal.winter! I think we are still trying to recover and the current downpours along with the storms (in June nonetheless) aren't helping our non-suicidal groups attendance. 

I had briefly mentioned the pet saga in other blog posts but, wasn't ready to write about it. It's been a long couple of months. To the tune of $2500+ at the vet. First it was Bruce (meow), then Hank (meow), then Loca (meow), then Ryner (woof). The only one that stayed out of the mix was Batman (meow)! I am hesitant to say that all have recovered now, except my debit card. I seriously need to look into pet insurance! However, throughout that hairy affair Bruce had to stay at the vet for a couple of days for surgery. I am one of those people that tend to believe everything happens for a reason. While he was gone the household dynamic of the pets was completely different. Problems I was having before with the other pets, I did not have when Bruce was gone. After a long talk with the vet, my choice has been to find Bruce a new home. He is too territorial with the other kitties. It's been about four years...I didn't even realize that that could be the problem. Now anyone that has had the sad & unfortunate task of re-homing their cat/pet knows this feels almost impossible and quite heartbreaking. 

I made a Craigslist Ad. I had three responses total.

1) One lady said a baby was there (Bruce is not use to small children) but the baby would be leaving soon. When I inquired about said baby, there was never a mother mentioned or anything. Just.the.baby. Then they lived in IN and I think had the assumption I would drive Bruce there. After mysterious parent-less baby and me saying they would have to come pick him up I got no response back after that...FAIL.

2) Another person contacted me that her Mother had just been in remission for cancer and Bruce would be the perfect cat for her but they couldn't afford the $50 re-home fee and wanted him for free. Now, I am one of the most sympathetic people out there but Bruce is like my child and if there is not money for him, where will there be money for his care? Food? Vet if needed? For $50 I was including food for two weeks, litter, new littler box, carrier & toys. You can't even buy that in the store for that...it didn't feel right to me. Plus...how can you really trust people if that's true or not? FAIL.

3) Third person I asked them to tell me a little bit about themselves. They asked what I wanted to know...then proceeded to tell me they were a family of SEVEN and they had a cat just like Bruce who two weeks ago got out and hasn't came back. Ok. In telling me about yourself you maybe should not have mentioned that your cat just got out...it leads me to believe you don't have time and weren't watching. FIVE kids. Yikes. P.S. Bruce is not your lost cat. FAIL.



As you can see I didn't get the best results that way...I want Bruce to go to a home that will love him just as much as I do. That's obviously quite hard to find. So I started to contact the no-kill shelters around here. I finally got a response from one I know of and like. She (a foster) said she saw my CL ad awhile ago and was hoping someone would adopt Bruce. Unfortunately, I had not been able to find the right fit. This was about a month ago. She is now back from vacation and says Bruce can come to her on Sunday. He has been hanging out in my basement (it's a walk out, thankfully for him) for a month and a half now and the household has done a complete 180. I know it's for the best but it is so so hard. I just got the news today. It sort of felt Ok the way things were. Being in limbo. I knew this day would come but I didn't think it would be now and I was trying to think I wouldn't have this hard of a time with it. Most of you who have known me for awhile, know my love for my animals. I don't have human kids, so these guys are a huge part of my life. I know this shelter will find him a perfect home, they do great work and I am so very thankful for them. I know they have the resources that I don't have to make that happen. So I am just a bit sad today...

(As a kitten in Puerto Rico where I found him abandoned on the beach.) 

So I just need a day...it's going to be a busy weekend. My Grandparents come up on Friday morning and are staying the night as it is my Grandma's birthday and I am going to cook dinner for her/them. It was just my Grandpa's birthday a couple of weeks ago, but I took him out to dinner so I took the easy way out there. Ha! That day is also the inspection on my new house. They'll get to see the new house which I am excited about. I don't think I had mentioned that just yet...I found a new place and am now going through the buying process. Now to sell this place I am in now. It's only been on the market for 5 days now so I am not worried...yet. I won't close on the second house until the end of July or August so I am really hoping in this strong selling market that, that gives me enough time to sell the place I have. Then Sunday I will take Bruce to his foster. Which is where I am off to now, I am going to go get some supplies now with Vik, to donate to the shelter. I really appreciate the shelter's help. I know it's a very busy time for them with "kitten season" as they call it, but I really think this is the best chance that Bruce has of finding his perfect home. She said she will keep in touch and let me know when he does find the perfect place. That makes it a little harder but, at the same time peace of mind is better than emotions that come with being so attached. As my yoga teacher says...it's just pain...you're going to be fine. Hard choices are never the easy ones to make. It's nice to know I have all of your guys' and gals' support. I don't know what I would do without all of you...right now I am specifically reminded of "FlyingJake" Thank you Jake! ...and a certain someone that helped me with my new computer back in December, Adrian. Thank you ALL OF YOU. Seriously, so very grateful. 

With that being said, I might be online tomorrow morning on Myfreecams. I am sure one of you will be able to take my mind off of things! *smile* Maybe I'll see you there?  

Love. Love. Love. 
~B

No comments:

Post a Comment